Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Little Dog Grooming 101

Doggie Grooming 101 with bows!

My little cupcake needs a lot of grooming to keep her girly appeal.  I do have a great local groomer and we have a standing appointment every fives weeks...but we bathe at home weekly.

Little "Cupcake" is white as snow  (that is her in the tub) and I use a special whitening shampoo though I am recently concerned about the chemicals found in her shampoo as well as mine.  It is a doggie whitening shampoo off Amazon as seen here.

I bathe her in the old porcelain 1940's era tub.  She does not hate it but at the same time she does not enjoy it and never sits down.

We start out with 3 inches of water which helps to soak those dirty paws.  Often I have put in a splash of olive oil or baby oil to keep her feet soft.   I add some mild soap like baby shampoo or Dawn liquid because all girly girls like  bubbles in the tub.

We use a pink sponge and a blue cup to pour water (the spray arm is tooo scary for her), I am so careful with her eyes and  the sponge is lightly used on the face.  Each paw is scrubbed and she raises one at a time.

When we are done I lift her out onto a rug covered with a towel.  I throw a baby bath towel with hood over her and cradle her as I towel her off.

I later use a brush or "lift" style comb to fluff her as she is almost dry.  Her pink skin hates a hair dryer!

Bows are added and I recently learned how to make them watching this video

Here is our grooming routine:
Saturday am bath  brush and fluff  add hair bows
Every other Saturday a pedicure when I do mine (front paws only)
Mondays or Tuesday- a nail trim with our Pedi Paws- just a little every week as we try to get her "quick" to recede so that her nails can be shorter.


So do you bathe your dog at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment